Wednesday, March 4, 2009

March Referral Baking

This month's recipe for my 'Referral Baking' spoke to me as soon as I saw it. It has been said that 'it is darkest right before the dawn'. It is just about to be dawn for several of my friends: Pug Mama, Sea Star, Lisa, and Lisa so when I saw the name of this recipe I thought it would be fun. Then after the sad number of days referred I thought that the chocolate overload was most definitely needed. :) So for the March Referral Baking I made Midnights.

This recipe if from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion I love this cookbook. This is the second cookie I've made from this book, and both times I thought the cookies were going to be dudes, but they came out amazingly good.

When making Midnights you chill the batter for an hour before baking. It was almost two hours before I could get to them, so all of the melted chocolate and butter was as hard as a rock. I really didn't hold out any hope for a good cookie. I was about to chuck the entire thing into the garbage. Big Bear convinced me to give at least one batch a try.

Luckily I did, because these are sinfully good. They are more like little fudgy brownies. They have TONS of chocolate. There is not much flour in the batter so the cookie is very tender. There is also an extra bite of salt. I almost cut down the amount of salt because I thought it was too much, but I'm glad I didn't. I have seen several recipes for salted chocolate cookies lately, it is a good combination.

You can see the recipe HERE. Let me know if you give them a try. I'm telling you, if you need a chocolate fix these are the way to go!

1 comment:

Headmeister said...

OMG when I show this to John he's going to want to make them immediately!!! Oh, and I always add a tiny drop more salt to anything I bake with chocolate and it tastes better. I read that a loooong time ago and I always stuck with it! :)