Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Comfort Food

This weekend I wanted to make something to take to my parents’ house. My mom just had surgery, so I wanted to bring a comforting dinner. In my opinion nothing is better than soup when you’re not feeling good. It is so warming – inside and out. I decided to make a Minestrone soup. At least that is how it started. I took some liberties here and there, but the bottom line this turned out to be a really good soup. It made a HUGE pot that we were able to share with my parents, my in-laws, and still have five servings to put in the freezer.

I typed up the recipe after I finished the soup. The measurements aren't exact because I don't measure when I am cooking, only when I bake. If you’re like me just use it as a guideline and add whatever vegetables, beans, or pasta you have in the cupboard. It all works!


A few weeks ago I took a class to learn to bake pie crust. I want to make my own pie crust and not use one from a box. I haven’t had the time to practice what I learned until this weekend.

For my first pie I made a banana cream. It is a pie that everyone in both of our families enjoys. The crust came out 'ok' for a first attempt, but I still need to practice. Thankfully the cream and meringue were pretty good.


The recipe for the cream filling and meringue came from The Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. My grandma and my mom have used this recipe for as long as I can remember. Whenever I bake a cream pie I always go to this book and this recipe. It is the best!

1 comment:

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I don't measure either....which is probably the reason I am not a great baker. The soup looks so good....and so does the pie!!

Good luck with those crusts....they are tricky:)