Monday, March 23, 2009

Banana Surprise Cupcakes

The other day I noticed that my banana bread stash as disappearing at a faster rate then it should be. When I asked Big Bear about it he said that he has been taking a couple of pieces to work every day for a snack. This is from the man who used to always turn his nose up at banana bread. Don’t get me wrong, I am VERY happy about it.

While looking at food blogs last week I came across a post for banana cupcakes with Nutella swirls. Big Bear and I have thought about buying some Nutella, but never have. This recipe looked interesting, so I thought I would give it a try.

Of course when I finally had time to make the cupcakes I couldn’t remember where I saw the recipe. (I really need to start book marking the ones I like.) Any way, I thought how hard could this be? I found a banana cupcake recipe and fumbled along from there. Here is my finished cupcake:


It was impossible to swirl the Nutella. The batter was too light, and the Nutella was too dense. This stuff is like peanut butter. So I just pushed it below the surface of the batter. I didn’t realize it would fall to the bottom. It does make a nice surprise when you eat the cupcake.

Even though I am not wild about the Nutella, the cake part is excellent. I wanted to freeze them so Big Bear can take them to work. I had already planned not frosting them, and they really don’t need it. I will make the cake part again and frost them with chocolate or maybe a peanut butter frosting. Yum!
*I didn't have any butter milk so I used a little more than a teaspoon of vinegar with 1/4 cup of milk.

1 comment:

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

I am so trying this recipe....I LOVE NUTELLA!! Growing up in an Italian family, Nutella was like our peanut butter:)

Hope you have a great week!

Lisa